Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology
Title: IT Specialist
Position Number: 0097078T
Hiring Unit: HAWAII INSTITUTE OF MARINE BIOLOGY / SOEST
Location: Oahu; Kaneohe, HI
Date Posted: 11/7/2023
Closing Date: 11/30/2023
Salary: Salary schedules and placement information
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
Continuation dependent on satisfactory performance, available funds, operational needs and actual staffing requirements.
This is a temporary position with the ability to become permanent.
Duties and Responsibilities
- * Perform HIMB-wide network administration and support for data networking equipment encompassing, but not limited to routers, switches, wireless access points, and cabling.
- * Respond to inquiries from staff, administrators, service providers, site personnel, outside vendors and others to provide technical assistance and support.
- * Organize, create, and maintain various network documents and diagrams.
- * Deploy, maintain, and troubleshoot hardware; provide desktop and network connectivity support.
- * Address hardware and software issues, offer remote desktop assistance, and manage software installation and configuration.
- *Serve as the HIMB IT Security Coordinator, aligning HIMB’s security standards with UH Manoa’s IT security guidelines and requirements.
- * Maintain HIMB’s web presence using a content management system such as WordPress. This includes creating and maintaining new pages as well as adding or updating news, stories, or events.
- *Deploy and maintain audio-visual equipment, ensuring optimal video and audio performance.
- *Make recommendations on hardware and software solutions to enhance research and operations.
- *Make recommendations on potential networking or security problems to maintain network performance and reliability.
- *Lead the enhancement of our operations by proposing and implementing innovative processes for quick issue resolution, routine maintenance and upgrades, and future needs assessment.
- *Identify, analyze, and resolve/troubleshoot server and workstation application problems, including using remote software.
- *Develop and implement procedures for routine operations, such as patch management, OS upgrades, and lifecycle management.
- *Detect, assess, and address server and workstation application issues, utilizing remote software when necessary.
- *Set up new or updates existing wired and wireless Cisco and HPE/Aruba equipment, as well as other specialized networking devices used in research.
- *Work a variable schedule or outside of normally scheduled hours including day, night, weekend, and/or holiday hours on an occasional basis, as needed to support IT operations.
- Other duties as assigned.
*Denotes Essential Functions
- Judgments and decisions impact operations, functions, programs, management, or policies of the program or its organizational segments.
- Judgments are recognized as sound, accurate, and knowledgeable and are generally accepted and followed after general review.
- Efforts have impact on direction, accomplishment of goals, and schedules of projects.
- Work is expected to be technically thorough, creative, correct, and reliable, and result in the development of technically sound products, judgments, studies, recommendations, and documentation.
- Recommends constructive ideas to increase the efficiency, effectiveness, and productivity within a specialty area.
- Develops, defines, and applies new and improved techniques, strategies, and original methods to the solution of important problems in the specialty area.
- Originates plans, techniques, and/or procedures to apply existing knowledge to ideas, analyses, projects, or tests and evaluations.
- The incumbent may recommend or establish policy and procedures applicable to an assignment.
- The incumbent's supervisor is kept informed of general plans and progress of work.
- Monitors, coordinates, or directs the work of lower level personnel, clerical assistants and/or student assistants.
Education and Professional Work Experience:
- Possession of a pertinent baccalaureate educational degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Science, Networking and 3 years of progressively responsible professional information technology experience with responsibilities for IT experience, of which 2 years of the experience must have been comparable in scope and complexity to the next lower payband in the University of Hawai'i broadband system; or any equivalent combination of education and/or professional work experience which provides the required education, knowledge, skills and abilities as indicated.
- Considerable working knowledge of principles, practices, and techniques in TCP/IP network protocols, network standards, and network equipment configuration, as demonstrated by the broad knowledge and understanding of the full range of pertinent standard and evolving information technology concepts, principles, and methodologies.
- Considerable working knowledge and understanding of the broad technology, systems, hardware and software associated with network monitoring, administration test tools, IT security software and practices, web content management (preferably WordPress), troubleshooting and audio-visual equipment deployment.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize a wide range of intricate problems, use reasoning and logic to determine accurate causes, and apply principles and practices to determine, evaluate, integrate, and implement practical and thorough solutions in an effective and timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and present information and ideas clearly and accurately in writing, verbally by preparation of reports and other materials.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various internal and external organizations, groups, team leaders and members, and individuals.
- If applicable, for supervisory work, demonstrated ability to lead subordinates, manage work priorities and projects, and manage employee relations.
- Extensive understanding of PC hardware and OS configurations, and endpoint security, as informed by current IT practices and methodologies related to personal computers and operating systems.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and logically deduce the causes of complex problems, applying principles and practices to develop, evaluate, and execute comprehensive solutions efficiently and effectively.
- Practical experience using network monitoring and test tools, such as Wireshark and OTDR.
- Experience with service desk ticketing system
- Ability to work a variable schedule or outside of normally scheduled hours—including day, night, weekend, and/or holiday hours on an occasional basis.
- Ability to administer and maintain firewall for the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology network. Duties encompass, but not limited to routine patching/upgrades, log analysis and blocking/unblocking traffic as deemed necessary.
- Familiarity with database systems
- Familiarity with task automation tools
- Familiarity with GIS systems
- Experience with project management tools
- Experience working with routing protocols such as OSPF and BGP in a production environment.
- Working knowledge of Virtual Routing and Forwarding technology.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. The application will be considered incomplete if materials are unreadable.
Minimum qualifications must be met by the date of application.
If you submit more than one application, only the most recent application will be considered.
Note: If you have not applied for a position before using NeoGov, you will need to create an account.
Inquiries: Mahdi Belcaid; email@example.com.
- EEO/AA, Clery Act, ADA
The University of Hawai’i is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution and is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, genetic information, marital status, breastfeeding, income assignment for child support, arrest and court record (except as permissible under State law), sexual orientation, domestic or sexual violence victim status, national guard absence, or status as a covered veteran. For more information or inquiries regarding these policies, please refer to the following link: http://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/eeo-coordinators/.
Employment is contingent on satisfying employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986; reference checks of previous employers; and for certain positions, criminal history record checks.
In accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, annual campus crime statistics for the University of Hawai'i may be viewed at: https://www.hawaii.edu/titleix/help/campus-security/, or a paper copy may be obtained upon request from the respective UH Campus Security or Administrative Services Office.
In accordance with Article 10 of the unit 08 collective bargaining agreement, bargaining unit members receive priority consideration for APT job vacancies. As a result, external or non BU 08 applicants may not be considered for some APT vacancies. BU 08 members with re-employment rights or priority status are responsible for informing the hiring unit of their status.
Accommodation Request: The University of Hawai'i complies with the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the EEO coordinator directly. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. For further information, please refer to the following link: https://www.hawaii.edu/offices/eeo/accommodation-request/