Public Relations/PR (m/f/d) mareXtreme
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel is a foundation under public law jointly financed by the Federal Republic of Germany (90%) and the State of Schleswig-Holstein (10%). It is one of the internationally leading institutions in the field of marine research.
Through our research and our commitment to the transfer of knowledge and technology, we contribute significantly to the preservation of the function and protection of the ocean for future generations. The German Alliance for Marine Research (DAM) is an consortium of 24 members and two strategic partners founded in 2019 by marine research institutions, the German government and five northern German states. The overarching goal of the Alliance is to strengthen the sustainable management of coasts, seas, and oceans through research and transfer, data management & digitalisation, and coordination of infrastructures.
For the 3rd DAM RESEARCH MISSION mareXtreme "Pathways to improved risk management in the field of marine extreme events and natural hazards", we are looking for a Public Relations/PR staff member for 01.01.2024.The aim of the mission is to develop ways to improve risk management in the field of extreme marine events and natural hazards through scientific research.
The Research Unit Marine Geodynamics of the Research Division Dynamics of the Ocean Floor seeks a
Public Relations/PR (m/f/d) mareXtreme
starting on January 1st 2023.
- Identification and journalistic processing of research results with public impact in cooperation with the scientists.
- Conception, organisation and participation in the realisation and maintenance of websites and the intranet presence
- Designing and implementing a social media strategy
- Creation of fact sheets, conceptual design of Science Cafés
- Media observation/topic monitoring
- Photographic and content documentation of events
- Writing press releases and news in German and English
- Handling media/press enquiries as main contact person
- Cooperation/coordination/networking with the public relations departments of the institutions involved in the research mission mareXtreme
- University degree (preferably in natural sciences, media sciences, journalism, science communication or related fields).
- Experienced handling of common and emerging social media channels, MS Office and high web affinity
- Basic knowledge of common graphics, image processing and editing software
- Good command of written and spoken German and English
- Enthusiasm for preparing and presenting scientific results for the general public as well as political stakeholders
- Work experience in a comparable position in a scientific institution / department, an agency, a (media) company or similar institution
- Experience in the field of science (journalism)
- Willingness to travel, interest in participating in seagoing expeditions for media coverage
At a workplace, directly on the Kiel Fjord with many leisure and recreational opportunities, we offer you:
- Good conditions for work-life balance: We offer, among other things, the possibility of mobile working and individual working time arrangements, vacation courses for the children of our employees, and good support in finding a place in a daycare center at the Kiel site
- Support services for professional and personal life situations
- An exciting work environment with the opportunity to provide important impetus for the development of sustainable solutions
- Exciting topics in an international environment
- Work in the field of marine and climate research, a forward-looking area with social significance
- 30 vacation days + additional time off at Christmas and New Year's Eve
- Company pension plan and capital-forming benefits
The position is available for a funding period for 3 years. The salary depends on qualification and could be up to the class 13 TVöD-Bund of the German tariff for public employees. This is a part-time position according to 70 % of a full-time equivalent (at the moment 27,3hours/week). Flexible work times are possible.
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel seeks to increase the proportion of female scientists and explicitly encourages qualified female academics to apply.
GEOMAR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages scientists with disabilities to apply. Qualified disabled applicants will receive preference in the application process.
Please send your application for this post not later than 07th December 2023 under the following link:
As soon as the selection procedure has finished, all your application data will be removed according to data protection regulation.
For further information regarding the position and research unit please contact Anne Völsch (0431 600-2271).
GEOMAR is committed to an objective and non-discriminatory personnel selection. Our job advertisements address all people. We expressly renounce the submission of application photos.