Software Developer (m/f/d)
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel is a foundation under public law jointly financed by the Federal Republic of Germany (90%) and the State of Schleswig-Holstein (10%). It is one of the internationally leading institutions in the field of marine research.
Through our research and our commitment to the transfer of knowledge and technology, we contribute significantly to the preservation of the function and protection of the ocean for future generations.
The Working Group DeepSea Monitoring in the Research Unit Marine Geosystems of the Research Division Marine Biogeochemistry offers a position starting as soon as possible as a
Software Developer (m/f/d)
We are looking for a dedicated person to develop software for the ValidITy project. In ValidITy, software will be developed that uses artificial intelligence and terrain classification dictionaries to detect objects in bathymetric survey data. The goal is to significantly reduce costs for the analysis of often very large amounts of data. ValidITy is a research project with the aim of developing a marketable software solution. It builds on the results of the previous project, BASTA (https://www.basta-munition.eu/). ValidITy is funded by the Helmholtz Association within the framework of the Impulse and Networking Fund. The fund is aimed at the further development of the transfer culture at the Helmholtz centres.
During the project, the person shall develop a new software application. The tasks and requirements are as follows:
- Together with our team you are developing software to automatically detect objects in bathymetric survey data
- You improve our machine learning algorithm and implement terrain classification dictionaries
- You participate in the regular planning meetings of the agile software development and contribute by bringing in the expertise you gained from the development
- Completed Bachelor's degree in an IT-oriented field of study
- Proven programming skills in a commonly used programming language (e.g. python)
- Knowledge in handling large amounts of data, e.g., from remote sensing (such as hydrographic or geophysical measurement data)
- Proven very good knowledge of English (C1 or comparable level)
Additional beneficial skills:
- Knowledge of the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Knowledge about the use and application of machine learning
- Work experience in a scientific environment
- Industry knowledge in the field of hydrographic surveys
- An exciting work environment with the opportunity to provide important impetus for the development of sustainable solutions
- Work in the field of marine and climate research, a forward-looking area with social significance
- A job at a leading international marine research centre in a working group specialized in seafloor mapping
- Contact opportunities with national and international companies, NGOs, and authorities
- A friendly working environment with dedicated colleagues
- The possibility to participate in research cruises
- The possibility to do a part of the work in the home office
- Good conditions for work-life balance: We offer, among other things, the possibility of mobile working and individual working time arrangements, vacation courses for the children of our employees, and support in finding a place in a day-care centre at the Kiel site
- Support services for professional and personal life situations
- 30 vacation days + additional time off at Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve
- Company pension plan and capital-forming benefits
The position is to be filled for a limited period until June 30, 2025.
The salary will be paid up to pay group E 11 (TVöD-Bund) if the relevant requirements are met. The regular weekly working time corresponds to 50 % of a full-time position. Due to the limited working time the position is not divisible. Flexible working time models are possible in principle.
GEOMAR has set itself the goal of promoting women. Applications from women are therefore explicitly welcomed. GEOMAR is committed to the employment of severely disabled persons. Therefore, severely disabled applicants will be given preferential consideration if they are suitable.
Please send your application for this post no later than 17th September 2023 under the following link:
After completion of the selection process, all application documents will be destroyed in accordance with data protection regulations.
For information on the advertised position, please contact Torsten Frey (Tel.: 0431 600-2599).
We will be happy to receive your questions by e-mail at bewerbung(at)geomar.de, stating the password “ValidITy-DEV”.
GEOMAR is committed to an objective and non-discriminatory personnel selection. Our job advertisements address all people. We expressly renounce the submission of application photos.