Watertown, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 6, 2024
Parallel Squared Technology Institute (PTI) is a non-profit research institute aiming to catalyze a leap in protein analysis technology and use it to explore new biological frontiers. PTI supports open research and educational opportunities supporting rapid career development for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians.
Why? Protein dysfunctions directly cause many diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Yet, proteins remain understudied because of technological hurdles.
How? To resolve these limitations, PTI will develop mass tags enabling a new framework for multiplexed protein analysis by mass spectrometry towards achieving 100-fold increase in throughput. Scientists at and collaborating with the institute will use these gains to directly investigate disease mechanisms and resolve problems that have proven intractable for decades. Our proof of principle technology and strategies are outlined at: parallelsq.org.
New career opportunities
Members of PTI will be supported with industry-level resources to lead research projects and disseminate their discoveries and innovations to the broader biomedical community through frequent publications, presentations, and submissions to public data portals.
Summary of Position
We are looking for an experienced Mass Spectrometrist who will be working on maintaining MS instruments for running multitudes of samples for a variety of projects in addition to other responsibilities. In order to be seriously considered for this position, we require a cover letter as part of the candidate’s application.
- You will setup, operate, and maintain mass spectrometers from multiple major vendors.
- Inventory management and preparation reagents and samples.
- Perform protein sample preparation.
- Analyze experimental data and interpret results for internal and public presentation.
- Preparation of lab reagents and media.
- Communication with purchasing and may be responsible for negotiating with various vendors.
- May manage MTAs, software licenses, service contracts, and other documentation.
- Masters or PhD in biology, biochemistry, or chemistry.
- 5+ years of experience maintaning mass spectrometers,
- Demonstrated experience optimizing LC-MS/MS methods for bottom-up proteomics.
- Demonstrated mastery of molecular & cellular biology techniques or chemistry techniques.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm & interest in biology and/or analytical chemistry.
- High level of initiative and flexibility, excellent communication and teamwork skills.
- Attention to detail and good time management skills
- Experience with mass spectrometry technological development (hardware or software).
- Proficiency with statistical and computational methods.
- Proficiency with cell culture and sterile technique.
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan; parental leave; wellness allowance.
- Generous time off + paid holidays.
We aim to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law or company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.