Neurodegenerative Disease Senior Scientist
Watertown, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Parallel Squared Technology Institute (PTI) is a non-profit research institute aiming to catalyze a leap in protein analysis technology and use it to explore new biological frontiers. PTI supports open research and educational opportunities supporting rapid career development for scientists, engineers, and mathematicians.
Why? Protein dysfunctions directly cause many diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease. Yet, proteins remain understudied because of technological hurdles.
How? To resolve these limitations, PTI will develop mass tags enabling a new framework for multiplexed protein analysis by mass spectrometry towards achieving 100-fold increase in throughput. Scientists at and collaborating with the institute will use these gains to directly investigate disease mechanisms and resolve problems that have proven intractable for decades. Our proof of principle technology and strategies are outlined at: parallelsq.org.
New career opportunities
Members of PTI will be supported with industry-level resources to lead research projects and disseminate their discoveries and innovations to the broader biomedical community through frequent publications, presentations, and submissions to public data portals.
Summary of Position
We are looking for a Senior Scientist who has done research in the neurodegenerative disease space with the aim of analyzing proteins in human brain tissue. This position will focus on Alzheimer’s Disease, but we welcome applicants who have experience in any neurodegenerative disease. In this role, the successful applicant will have the opportunity to be the lead of AD research projects, working closely with co-founders to help achieve PTI’s milestones. In order to be seriously considered for this position, we require a cover letter as part of the candidate’s application.
- Lead biological projects related to Alzheimer's Disease (AD) through experimental design, sample preparation for mass spectrometry proteomics, and data analysis & interpretation as a subject matter expert.
- Collaborate with chemists, research associates, computational scientists and mass spectrometrists to leverage PTI's multiplexing platform for AD projects.
- Collaborate with external labs and brain repositories.
- Be the ‘go-to’ person relating to AD projects at PTI.
- Mentor scientists and research associates. Prepare internal reports and manuscripts, and present results at internal or external scientific meetings as appropriate.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, inclusion, and cultural awareness through actions, interactions, and communications with others.
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD in biology that involved the preparation and analysis of brain samples, or equivalent working experience.
- Experience in preparing human brain tissue for downstream protein analyses.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, record keeping ability, attention to detail.
- Experience in high throughput tissue sample collection, preparation, and analysis.
- Experience with mass spectrometry proteomics.
- Basic level of understanding R, python, or similar computational language.
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan; parental leave; wellness allowance.
- Generous time off + paid holidays.
We aim to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law or company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.