Senior Technical Project Manager
Boulder, CO, USA
Posted on Friday, December 8, 2023
[C]Worthy is a non-profit research organization operating like a fast-moving, deep-tech startup. Our singular objective is to enable trustworthy, transparent, science-based quantification of ocean-based carbon dioxide removal (CDR). We are adapting open-source oceanographic modeling and data assimilation tools — developed over decades by scientists and software engineers at public and academic institutions — to establish a fit-for-purpose system for mCDR assessments.
The [C]Worthy research and development team blends exceptional software engineering with deep expertise in oceanographic observations, modeling, and data assimilation. [C]Worthy is on the path to becoming a Focused Research Organization hosted by Convergent Research, part of the Schmidt Futures Network.
[C]Worthy seeks a Senior Technical Project Manager (TPM)/Product Owner to provide product ownership, project planning and management for core software and data products that will support marine carbon dioxide removal (mCDR) technology. Our teams are building software infrastructure to support standardized methodologies for decision support, quantification, and impact assessments related to research and commercial deployments of marine carbon dioxide removal (mCDR). The TPM will have primary responsibility for project/product development of C-Star and related data products. C-Star is a system built around regional oceanographic models and other computational software infrastructure. The TPM will work collaboratively with the C-Star technical leads and report to [C]Worthy’s executive leadership team. The ideal applicant will compliment our team of scientists with startup and industry software development experience and customer-focused perspective.
We welcome applicants from a diversity of backgrounds. We are particularly interested in individuals with strong motivation and interest in building technological solutions needed for climate change mitigation. We sustain a welcoming and inclusive culture and a vibrant, intellectually and socially stimulating work environment.
- Develop and maintain the C-Star product roadmap, release schedule, and critical milestones.
- Work closely with [C]Worthy’s key customers, internal technical team, and executive leadership teams to identify and document key requirements for C-Star software infrastructure and applications.
- Drive a rigorous program of software testing, quality-control, and attention to end-to-end workflow orchestration.
- Drive and facilitate discussions to weigh the costs and benefits of differing technical solutions.
- Facilitate technical team meetings to track progress towards milestones, identify bottlenecks, and ensure clear communication across the team.
- Function as a key resource across the technical staff in terms of setting and adjusting priorities.
- Work closely with technical leads and people managers to prioritize how individuals spend their time.
- Track and manage staffing, budget, and computing allocations for projects/product.
- Actively maintain and coordinate team and individual-level engagement with project management software. Leverage these tools to establish visibility into workflows, enable coordination as the team grows, and provide insight into prioritizing, staging, and sequencing development tasks.
- Manage computing and data storage/access allocations with federally funded facilities and commercial vendors.
- Lead the development of product-related progress reports to our stakeholders, funding organizations, including both philanthropic and federal sources.
- Identify skill gaps and growth opportunities across the team and coordinate staff training when necessary.
- 4+ years of previous experience managing multifaceted software, engineering, or other technical projects.
- Experience gathering requirements from internal and external stakeholders and establishing a product roadmap and release schedule.
- Experience establishing processes and guidelines to manage and track effort across team members.
- Demonstrated understanding of project management processes, strategies and methods including working with one or more project management and milestone tracking applications.
- Experience facilitating routine and productive team meetings that inform and drive toward meeting project milestones.
- Experience leading the development and delivery of progress reports (including describing and explaining any changes in project scope and timelines) to stakeholders, board members, and funding managers.
- Previous experience managing/owning projects/products in a startup-like environment, with a technical team of 5-10 scientists/engineers.
- Experience transitioning research software to commercially-oriented applications.
- Familiarity with GitHub or similar platform for managing/distributing software.
- Interest in climate, atmospheric science, oceanography or carbon dioxide removal.
- Competitive salary: $96,000–$165,000 a year
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Wellness benefit
- Paid time off
- Flexible spending accounts for health care or childcare
- 401(k) retirement fund with matching employer contributions.
- [C]Worthy is based in Boulder, Colorado, and seeks to build a strong collaborative team. We prefer that employees spend significant time working together in person in our Boulder office, however approval for remote or hybrid work is possible.
We aim to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law or company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.