Principal Mechanical Engineer
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
At Forest Neurotech, we're not just creating devices; we're building a deeper understanding and personalized treatment of the human brain. Our mission is to pioneer the next frontier of neurotechnology, and we're looking for passionate and experienced people to be a part of this journey.
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Mechanical Engineer to lead the design of our implant. The successful candidate will have an in-depth understanding of: thermal modeling and design (ideally related to tissue or similar applications), design of medical implants (or similar devices) as well as testing and manufacturing processes. This role requires experience managing vendor relationships as well as excellent communication and project management skills.
- Model and design thermal management solutions for the implant
- Design the mechanical housing, cable harnessing and other implanted device components
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to refine designs and ensure seamless integration with electronics
- Understand and create tolerance stack ups for assemblies and part level
- Design and fabricate manufacturing and test fixtures
- Work with the operations team to develop and verify manufacturing processes at one or more CMs
- Manage multiple vendor relationships with development partners and vendors.
- Develop and execute, in collaboration with the EE & MEMS teams, mechanical test & characterization methodologies
- Develop and maintain accurate and efficient design methodologies, processes and testing documentation for all mechanical and manufacturing related development.
Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering or related discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Mechanical product design for medical implants with experience in thermal management and modeling.
- Strong understanding of biocompatibility requirements and materials
- Proficiency in mechanical design tools, such as Solidworks
- Experience working with multiple sterilization methods
- Experience managing vendor relationshipExpert in industry standards and best practices for medical device design and fabrication.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Benefits we offer
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields.
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance; parental leave.
- 401k with 6% salary matching
- Generous time off + paid holidays.
- Wellness allowance for fitness and wellness activities.
The Company aims to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law or Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.