Ocean Biogeochemistry Modeling Lead
Boulder, CO, USA
Posted on Tuesday, September 19, 2023
[C]Worthy is a non-profit research organization building the first open-source software and analytics tools designed to enable trustworthy, transparent, science-based quantification of ocean-based carbon dioxide removal (CDR). We are working to help the growing marine carbon dioxide removal (mCDR) industry make safe and effective long-term contributions to climate change mitigation. The [C]Worthy research and development team blends exceptional software engineering with deep expertise in oceanographic observations, modeling, and data assimilation. [C]Worthy is on the path to becoming a Focused Research Organization hosted by Convergent Research.
[C]Worthy seeks an Ocean Biogeochemistry Modeling Lead to play a leadership role in building oceanographic modeling and data-integration tools oriented towards supporting ocean-based carbon dioxide removal (or ‘mCDR’) applications. The modeling system will include global and regionally-nested ocean general circulation models with coupled biogeochemical modules and explicit representations of mCDR processes. The BGC Modeling Lead will co-lead and collaborate with a technical team to build modeling systems and associated workflows for specific applications related to mCDR deployments, field trials, and the development of monitoring, reporting, and verification (MRV) methods for mCDR. The BGC Modeling Lead will also contribute to defining [C]Worthy’s strategic vision and technical roadmap for building a comprehensive application suite supporting robust decision support frameworks for mCDR. The BGC Modeling Lead will report to [C]Worthy’s Director of Research and Development and participate in building an inclusive, supportive, and highly collaborative working culture.
- Co-lead and collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers working to develop and apply ocean modeling and analysis systems to mCDR applications.
- Take a leadership role in designing modeling system configurations and prioritizing development initiatives to meet [C]Worthy’s strategic milestones and deliverables.
- Apply domain-specific expertise to identify key metrics of model skill and build analysis workflows to calibrate and validate model solutions.
- Identify, design, and implement improvements and extensions to the software, numerics, and scientific basis for representing mCDR processes in biogeochemical ocean models.
- Contribute to developing [C]Worthy’s strategic vision for confronting key computational and data analysis challenges in mCDR MRV.
- Track emerging trends in biogeochemical ocean modeling for possible integration into [C]Worthy model and analysis codes.
- Contribute to the design and development of user-facing applications to address high-impact mCDR-related questions.
- Be responsive to emerging priorities and contribute to stimulating innovation.
- A Ph.D. in oceanography or a similar field with a strong understanding of simulating ocean biogeochemical dynamics.
- Demonstrated experience in biogeochemical oceanographic modeling, preferably at both global and regional scales.
- Experience in leading model development or other research projects with complex tasks requiring the navigation of significant ambiguity.
- Experience in scientific programming and working on high-performance computing architectures.
- Experience with open-source development and GitHub.
- Demonstrated track record of excellence in a relevant scientific domain.
- Proven ability to communicate and work effectively across disciplines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to engage effectively with the internal team and communicate with external collaborators.
- Experience with advanced statistical methods, data assimilation, artificial intelligence, and/or machine learning a plus, but not required.
- Passion for [C]Worthy’s mission.
- Deeply curious and excited to learn new things.
- Possesses a tenacious and adaptive problem solving capacity.
- Open to admitting and correcting mistakes.
- Collaborative, helpful, open-minded, and willing to listen to other perspectives.
- Experience with advanced statistical methods, data assimilation, artificial intelligence, and/or machine learning a plus.
- Competitive salary: $150,000–$190,000 a year
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Wellness benefit
- Paid time off
- Flexible spending accounts for health care or childcare
- 401(k) retirement fund with matching employer contributions.
- [C]Worthy is based in Boulder, Colorado, and seeks to build a strong collaborative team. We prefer that employees spend significant time working together in person in our Boulder office, however approval for remote or hybrid work is possible.
The Company aims to help fill a structural gap in today's R&D system. We enable fundamental research that requires unusual levels of scale and coordination yet is not rapidly monetizable by industry. We’re bringing together top talent from academia, industry, and startups to build a new model for innovative R&D. As an incubator within the Schmidt Futures Network, we identify high-impact scientific or technical research and development opportunities, ultimately defining and launching these projects as Focused Research Organizations.
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that proudly pursues and hires a diverse workforce. We do not make hiring or employment decisions on the basis of race, color, religion or religious belief, ethnic or national origin, nationality, sex, gender, gender-identity, sexual orientation, disability, age, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law or Company policy. We strive for a healthy and safe workplace and strictly prohibit harassment of any kind.