San Francisco Bay Area (Hybrid)
Are you looking for an exciting challenge in IOT electronics design that lets you make a positive difference in our oceans?
Blue Ocean Gear is a San Francisco Bay Area-based start-up at the forefront of the growing community of mission-driven businesses building technology to empower good stewardship of the world’s oceans. Our core product is an intelligent, networked buoy system that helps fishers track and monitor their gear, saving them time and money, providing critical operational data and analysis, and reducing the single largest source of ocean plastics – lost fishing gear. In the process, we are bringing IoT to the oceans, rapidly deploying one of the first high-resolution networks of ocean sensors in some of the world’s most economically productive waters. We are seeking driven problem solvers with a global mindset to join our team as we scale up our commercial products.
At Blue Ocean Gear, we are designing products for the fishing industry, which means they must not only withstand volatile ocean conditions and rough handling, but also operate reliably at high performance levels at all times. Success in this role is highlighted by taking initiative in designing creatively, troubleshooting methodically, and keeping an eye to supply chain vulnerabilities. You’ll have the opportunity to work on enhancing existing products while also engaging in new R&D efforts as part of a team of expert engineers. This position requires candidates to work locally in the SF Bay Area in a combination of on-site and remote work.
As part of our engineering team, you will:
· Design mixed signal circuits
· Perform PCB layout
· Collaborate with PCB vendors for DFM
· Collaborate with mechanical engineers for systems design integrations
· Document theories of operation, tests plans, and design revisions
· Manage release packages through PLM
· Perform new design bring-up and validation
· Perform root-cause analysis on anomalies
· Collaborate with the engineering team to generate product requirements and design new system architectures
· Maintain and refine existing designs
· Alternate component validation for existing designs
· Field testing
Necessary Qualifications and Experience:
· BS or MS in Electrical Engineering
· 4+ years of relevant industry experience
· Demonstrated experience in mixed signal circuit design, layout, and DFM
· Expert at PCB design, documentation, troubleshooting, test and validation
· Experienced in RF design, test and validation
Desired skills and experience:
· Fluent in OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor
· Battery management systems
· Familiarity with Python
The ocean is a vast, inclusive, and diverse ecosystem that impacts an equally varied range of coastal communities and ocean-based industries. Our customer base ranges from large corporations to indigenous and community-based fisheries. We are actively working to build a team that reflects a similar inclusivity and strength in diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Blue Ocean Gear is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.