Summary: The Naturalist / Host will interact with groups of up to 60 guests to provide information about the local marine life, plants, and natural history of Southeast Alaska. This position works with the team to provide a quality locally sourced meal and always maintains an impeccably clean lodge for a five-star tour experience for each guest. Requires public speaking ability. A Biology and/or natural history background is preferred. This is a shore-based position.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Present a professional and friendly attitude.
- Provide information to guests. Answer questions regarding the marine tide pools, local plants and history of the island.
- Move inventory, supplies and garbage between Salmon Landing and Danger Island.
- Greet, assist and direct guests across the dock to and from the island.
- Perform groundskeeping duties such as setting up and taking down games, scrubbing play equipment and maintaining the cleanliness of the grounds.
- Assist in gathering and collecting marine animals from the island shores for the marine tide pool.
- Assist in monitoring animals and regularly cleaning the tide pool.
- Act as playground attendant as assigned.
- Work as a team with Lodge Service crew members to provide excellent guest service.
- Assist other crew in areas such as food prep, bar, retail, maintaining lodge appearance, cleanliness, sanitation and safety.
- Be in continual compliance with food health and safety regulations and guidelines.
- Enhance experience for guests by answering guest questions and assisting guests with specific problems/requests/
- Assist Island Manager with supervisory duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Ability to develop and present a narrative.
- Must be able to communicate with large groups.
- Have or obtain TAPs card, Alaska Food Handlers Card and CPR/First Aid certification.
- Must be drug-free (pre-employment screening and random drug testing required).
- Background in biology and/or natural history.
- Public speaking experience.
Traits and Characteristics:
- Friendly and personable demeanor.
- Ability and excitement about working with a team.
- Courteous, honest, punctual and reliable.
Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.