Summary: Requires basic seamanship skills. Mechanical aptitude and some experience with diesel engines preferred. Assist Captain to monitor vessel systems and troubleshoot problems. Interact with passengers and perform customer service duties. Provide for passenger safety while underway and maintain impeccably clean vessel at all times. Must be able to work as a team member and be comfortable interacting with guests.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Check all engine/jet fluids upon arriving on vessel each morning, bring all equipment online, log all entries and report any problems to Captain.
- Assist with passenger boarding, safety orientation/demonstration, emergency response and crowd control.
- Vessel duties include line handing, assist with docking / undocking of the vessel and mooring with cruise ships as requested by vessel captain.
- Complete routine engine room checks underway, making minor mechanical repairs and adjustments as necessary, and assisting crew members to ensure that passengers receive optimum tour quality and premium customer service.
- Assist Captain in wheelhouse with navigating and/or wildlife sighting as directed.
- Maintain vessel appearance, with regards to cleanliness and safety, in engine and jet rooms, in voids and on decks. Assist other crew with cabin, galley and heads.
- Under direction of Captain, complete all routine vessel maintenance on a daily basis. This will include, but not be limited to: cleaning, sanitation pumping, restocking and refueling.
- Assist Captain to perform required safety checks of all essential equipment on a weekly basis. Maintain current and accurate logs.
- Work with Port Engineer to complete all mandatory vessel maintenance on a monthly basis, including but not limited to oil/filter changes, zinc/belt replacement, etc.
- Identify problems, inform Port Engineer and assist in performing needed repairs.
- Perform other duties under supervision of Captain.
- Prefer experience on passenger carrying vessels.
- Mechanical aptitude, engine room experience preferred. Diesel
mechanics or electrical/electronics background helpful.
- Must be able to work as a team with other crew to provide quality experience for customers, including answering questions and providing commentary.
- Must be drug free (pre-employment screening and enrollment
in random drug testing program is Coast Guard required).
- Must be able to work varied shift hours, including weekends and holidays. Days off will be scheduled but must be willing to be flexible in meeting tour demand.
- Must be clean, well groomed, courteous, honest, and most important, reliable.
Traits and Characteristics:
- Friendly and customer-focused
- Strong commitment to safety
- Organized and mechanically inclined
Work Environment: Ability to work flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel. Required to stand for long periods of time on steel decks with constant movement, noise and vibration.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Yes
Position Reports to the Captain