Catering Crew Member
Summary: The catering team prepares fresh Alaskan-sourced seafood, Alaskan exotic game meats, and locally grown vegetables to create a unique dining experience for our guests. Food is prepped, plated, and placed on rolling racks for quick distribution aboard our vessels. The team arranges a buffet with delicious and attractive Alaskan foods, flowers, and accents. Designated members are given the training and time to design our floral arrangements. The crew works as a team and each crew member has a recipe and workstation to prepare food. All crew must share in the cleaning of the facility. This position is both shore-side and aboard a vessel.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Follow our unique set of core values, what we call True Alaskan Hospitality as defined in our Mission Statement.
- Maintain a clean appearance and uphold positive cultural standards.
- Must be well groomed, and in clean uniform every shift.
- Set up and take down food displays aboard the vessel in a timely manner.
- Operate and transport carts of food/equipment on and off of vessels.
- Ensuring all relevant equipment is loaded/unloaded from the vessel surrounding the evening whale quests.
- Serve food and drinks to guests with high levels of hospitality.
- Memorize and be able to describe the food being served and be able to answer questions accordingly.
- Understanding the story behind the food and being able to give brief introductions of the food to 100+ people on a microphone.
- Accurately follow all instructions in food preparation and food safety guidelines.
- Prepare all food with a focus on efficiency and presentation.
- Always maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the buffet.
- Rotate all food products in a first-in, first-out format.
- Clean and sanitize the work area and assist in keeping the overall facility clean & sanitized.
- Perform all other duties as assigned and as directed.
- All employees are subject to drug testing with probable cause.
- Communicate effectively with guests, team members, and leadership.
- Comfortable with Public Speaking
- Able to follow recipes and instructions.
- Adhere to all DEC food safety guidelines to ensure the safety of our Crew and our Guests.
- Must have an Alaska Food Workers Card (apply online).
- Prefer experience in catering, restaurant, or fast food.
Traits and Characteristics:
- Able to work efficiently with minimal downtime.
- Professional and friendly attitude.
- Able to effectively work on a team.
- Flexible and willing to learn.
Ability to work a flexible schedule to include weekends and holidays. Work is both shoreside and onboard our fleet of tour vessels.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Ability to walk on uneven deck surfaces crossing from vessel to vessel.