Artificial Intelligence Internship, Applied Science and Technology (Skylight)
Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence
On-site in Seattle: Persons in these roles are expected to work from our offices in Seattle, WA.
Compensation Range: $86,520 - $123,600*
*Compensation dependent upon degree attained
Who You Are:
The Skylight team at AI2 is looking for a full-time intern experienced in deep learning and passionate about building AI for Earth. On the Skylight team at AI2, we build and serve AI in support of maritime conservation. We use satellite imagery and artificial intelligence to automatically observe and monitor all activity on the high seas in real-time. You will have the opportunity to help build and ship novel machine learning models that leverage satellite imagery and remote sensor data. Join a world class team of research scientists and engineers. Skylight processes hundreds of millions of data points daily with fully automated deep learning pipelines.
Previous Skylight AI interns have published award-winning papers, have been recognized by AI2’s prestigious “outstanding internship award”, and gone on to productive careers in machine learning and artificial intelligence. We have a beautiful office near Fremont and Lake Union; catered lunches; great pay, smart, friendly and helpful co-workers. Seattle is beautiful, especially in the summer :).
Your Next Challenge:
At AI2, you will be working with world-class AI researchers and talented software engineers. We perform team-based, ambitious research, with a mandate to strive for big breakthroughs, not just incremental progress, in an exciting and interactive workplace.
All interns are paired with a mentor and will participate directly in AI2's groundbreaking work. There are no restrictions on publications based on internships. Each of our research teams has a specific application for interested candidates, so please familiarize yourself with our projects and apply to the specific team(s) that best match your skills and interests.
AI2 Research Interns will have the opportunity to do the following tasks:
- Reading the scientific literature to investigate and understand AI research
- Executing AI research under guidance of the mentor, which may include building AI systems or system components, developing datasets, and/or conducting experiments
- Meeting with the mentor to discuss research progress and ideas
To see more about our current, future, and past interns, check out our internship page on our website!
AI2 Intern of the Year Opportunity:
AI2 offers an Intern of the Year Award that will recognize a research intern who has performed outstanding research that will lead to a high-quality paper aligned with one of AI2's projects. This winning intern will receive:
- $10,000 cash prize (applicable to tax)
- Invitation to return to AI2 for another internship
- External announcement of their award
What You’ll Need:
- Students (senior undergraduates, masters or Ph.D. students) with a strong academic record
- Experience with modern deep learning (NLP and/or CV)
- Interest in applying AI to address global environmental challenges
- Experience with Python
It's a Bonus if You:
- Are highly proactive and self-motivated
- Experienced with LLM assisted engineering
- Have had successful past internships or full-time employment in a technical role
- Experienced with satellite imagery and/or AIS/GPS Data
- Contributed to open source projects
- Experienced with building ETL pipelines for large, real-world datasets
- Knowledge of the state-of-the-art in deep learning
- Experience reading and implementing ideas from research papers
- Experience with major ML frameworks (PyTorch, etc)
- Experience designing and developing novel ML algorithms
- Expertise in Python, GitHub, CICD, and code testing
- Standard work office environment
- Working at a desk with a computer
- Frequent meetings in conference rooms and stand up tables
A Little More About AI2:
The Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence is a non-profit research institute in Seattle founded by Paul Allen. The core mission of AI2 is to contribute to humanity through high-impact research in artificial intelligence.
In addition to AI2’s core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization – because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is a place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance – we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent – we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle – and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly– chances are you will like every one of the 200+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. You may view the related Know Your Rights compliance poster and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision by clicking on their corresponding links.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to employees and applicants with disabilities to the full extent required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you feel you need a reasonable accommodation pursuant to the ADA, you are encouraged to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Team members and their families are covered by medical, dental, vision, and an employee assistance program.
- Team members are able to enroll in our health savings account plan, our healthcare reimbursement arrangement plan, and our health care and dependent care flexible spending account plans.
- Team members will receive $125 per month to assist with commuting or internet expenses and will also receive $200 per month for fitness and wellbeing expenses.
- Team members will accrue 1 hour per every 30 hours worked. If you are usually scheduled to work on a holiday that AI2 recognizes as a day off, you will be paid for this day.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the team members(s) of this position. Team members will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the team member(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an at will relationship.